The purpose of this guide, is to provide you with a step by step detailed guide on how to remove the intake manifold off of a 13-16 Ford Focus ST.
Socket extension, preferably 6 inch
Flat head screwdriver or 8mm socket.
Terminology Reference Guide:
- Using the 10mm socket and extension, unbolt the 5 bolts in-between the intake runners that connect the manifold to the head. 2 of the bolts you can’t see in this photo, they are on the back side of the runners.
2. Now you want to remove the 2 electrical clips on the left side of the manifold(passenger side).
The first clip on on the front of the manifold. Pictured below.
The next clip is located on the back side of the manifold, it isn’t connected to the manifold, but the fuel rail. To find this one, you can follow the cable from the first clip you undid, as they are on the same cable.
Here is that same clip from a different angle.
With those 2 clips undone, untangle the wire from the hard plastic cable going across it, and move it out of the way. Cable looks like this once removed.
3. Undo the clips holding the hard line across the manifold. After removing the clips, maneuver the hose back and out of the way.
4. Remove the 2 slide on clips on the back side of the manifold, One on the left side and one on the right side.
Clip on the Driver Side:
Clip on Passenger Side:
NOTE: these clips can be a bit tricky to remove. They remove by being slid out, away from the engine. You are not uncliping the clip. The clip/wire is mounted to the back of the manifold, you are removing the mount so the clip and wire, can hang loose. The best way to remove these is to hold onto the clip, and try to keep it flat as you pull it straight out.
5. Remove the Cold Charge pipe coupler from the manifold. Using your screw driver or 8mm socket, loosen this hose clamp. You get to it from the Driver side of the manifold, located just below the sound symposer. Loosen this up quite a bit, but without separating the clamp.
6. Lift the intake manifold out of the car. The throttle body has ridges on it, to ensure a good seal to the hose, so it can be hard to remove. To pull it out, you want to reach down on the driver side of the manifold and take a hold of the charge pipe. Then pull up on the manifold, while pulling down on the charge pipe. It may help to wiggle the manifold back and forth. Once it comes out do not continue to pull, as there are 2 more clips that need to be removed first.
7. Unclip the PCV hose from the manifold. I missed taking a photo of this step, but it is a large clip on the lower back side of the manifold.
8. Remove the clip on the bottom of the throttle body. This can be a bit tricky as you have to this by feel. This clip has a lock on it. Follow the wire to the clip, then on the bottom of the clip, you’ll feel a little tab, this slides out, towards the wire, this unlocks the clip. Then you can unclip it.
9. Lift the Manifold out.
At this point the manifold will be free except for 1 clip. This last clip is the green one, located on a hard plastic hose on the Passenger side. I do not remove this one, when removing the intake manifold, because the length of hose is long enough that you can place the manifold on your intake or fuse box, bringing it out of the way.
If you do need to remove it, be careful. It is a very easy clip to break. Here’s how you remove it. Again sorry it’s a bit blurry.
Using a small flat head screwdriver, lift the green plastic up on the sides. Lift up on both sides where the arrows. are. You don’t remove the clip entirely, just lift it up, and slide up. The clip, if you look at, is like a horseshoe.
If you break one side, don’t worry about it. Plenty of people have broken one side, and haven’t had any issues.
To reinstall, please reform these steps in reverse.
TORQUE SPECS: 14.75ft/lbs